Differentiating Your Sustainability Reports (DAY 2 Masterclass)
3RD April 2019
Differentiating Your Sustainability Reports
9.00-9.15 Introductions & Welcome
Part 1: Sustainability Reports – Concepts and Frameworks
The biggest challenge for many Sustainability Reporting professionals is to differentiate their Sustainability Reporting initiatives from their competitors and to invest in effective and strategic Sustainability Reporting programmes. This session will focus on the new sustainability frameworks and help you to build a case for Sustainability Reporting from the bottom up using business principles that will motivate your colleagues and persuade senior managers to support your efforts.
• What is Sustainability Reporting and how can you approach it?
• The Sustainability Reporting frameworks from around the world
• Why is it important?
• What areas must be covered?
• Building real Sustainability Reporting practices and policies
• The importance of Sustainability Reporting in an organisation’s reputation
• Connecting good Sustainability Reporting with organisational performance
Part 2: Group Exercise: Our Greatest Imaginable Sustainability Reporting Challenges
• What does Sustainability Reporting mean for us?
• What are we doing now?
• What do we need to do in future?
12.00-1.00pm LUNCH & NETWORKING
Part 3: What to Disclose in Good Sustainability Reports
Good sustainability reports are aimed at achieving the following objectives:
(a) improving the quality of sustainability-related practices and reporting of our listed issuers;
(b) aiding listed issuers to meet sustainability expectations of their stakeholders;
(c) attracting funds with a sustainability focus into the Malaysian capital market; and
(d) facilitating more listed issuers to qualify international sustainability indices.
The good sustainability reporting guidelines require you to make sustainability-related disclosures in
your annual report. This session will provide an overview of the sustainability-related disclosure guides,
how they apply to you, and when they take effect. This will cover areas such as:
1. Policies, practices and performance:
• What are effective polices, practices and performance management and how can you create them?
• What areas must be covered?
• Building a management framework – organisation and training
• What targets should we choose?
• How do we measure ESG indicators?
• Building a monitoring framework – data collection, organisation and reporting
3. Sustainability reporting framework:
• What reporting frameworks are available and how do we choose the best for us?
• What are the demands of different frameworks?
• Building a reporting framework – organisation, templates and communications
4. Board statement:
• How do we create an effective Board Statement?
• Avoiding “green-wash” – how do we focus on key stakeholder concerns?
• Approaches to verification – what level of assurance do we need?
• Group Exercise: Drafting our Board Statement
4.45-5.00pm QUESTIONS & SUMMARY OF THE DAY